Saturday, May 10, 2008

Where to go?

So, I have a little less than 6 months left in this far away land. People want to know what's next in my life. My answer is, "I have no idea." I'm not sure where I'll live, or what I'll do. Only Father knows as of this moment. This morning, I read my cousin's blog, where she posted about Find Your Spot. From this website, you take a quiz, and based upon your answers, you are given the top 24 places that best fit you. Mine are:
1.Greenville, South Carolina. The Rising Star of the South. The Peace Center for the Performing Arts presents theater and concerts in this South Carolina city's rejuvenated downtown.
Interesting. I lived here when I went to university. I'll definitely visit, but I'm not too sure about living here.
2.Tulsa, Oklahoma. A Blend of the Best. This technologically important Oklahoma city hosts a low-tech Blue Grass and Chili Festival each year.
I do like blue grass. And, I eat chilies almost every day in some dish. Actually, I just realized that they may be talking about the dish called chili. Either way.
3.Clarksville, Tennessee. The New South. This Tennessee city calls itself the "Gateway to the New South."
The "New South"...what's that supposed to mean?
4.Chattanooga, Tennessee. City of Vision. The beautiful former depot of this town's famous Choo-Choo is now a unique vacation complex.
I don't think I want to live near a vacation complex.
5.Hickory, North Carolina. Blue Ridge Mountain Home. This area in North Carolina is known as the nation's furniture manufacturing capital.
I do like the mountains, but is there really mountains in Hickory? And, who cares about furniture?
6.Asheville, North Carolina. Land of the Sky. This Blue Ridge town's annual "Shindig on the Green" is an evening of informal, impromptu bluegrass jam sessions.
This city is VERY near to my home and my family, but I will NEVER live here.
7.Johnson City-Kingsport, Tennessee. Two Natural Wonders. This Tennessee city's lively annual Springfest includes a JazzNite, golf tournaments, a chili cookoff and a beach party.
None of these things are things I care about.
8.Knoxville, Tennessee. Gateway to the Smoky Mountains. In the shadow of the Great Smoky and Cumberland Mountains, this spot served as Tennessee's capital from 1796 to 1812.
I could do the Smoky Mountains.
9.Jackson, Mississippi. Old Capital of the South. This historic Mississippi city is the home of the largest planetarium in the Southeast.
Someone just told me to never live in Mississippi. It is fun to spell though.
10.Athens, Georgia. The Classic City. The world's only double-barreled cannon rests in this Georgia town; it was "a spectacular failure" in tests in 1864.
I've thought about Georgia.
11. Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The Big Apple of the South. This important city on Alabama's Black Warrior river is home to Stillman College and the University of Alabama.
Alabama, sure!
12.Gainesville, Georgia. Gateway to the Appalachians. Resting on the banks of Lake Sidney Lanier, the state's largest man-made lake, this spot hosted 1996 Olympic competitions for kayaking and rowing.
Again, I have thought about Georgia, and a lake at the gateway to the Appalachians is very tempting.
13.Charlotte, North Carolina. The Queen City. Home to First Union and Bank of America, this spot is renowned as a financial center.
I don't really care to live in Charlotte, but I could get a season pass to Carowinds!
14.Paris, Tennessee. A Hidden Lakeshore Treasure. This Tennessee town hosts the World's Biggest Fish Fry each April.
This sounds inviting! Angie, isn't this where you're from? I do like to eat fish!
15.Raleigh, North Carolina. City of Oaks. This technologically savvy state capital is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the country.
This could be an option. But are there really oaks in this city?
16.Maryville, Tennessee. Heart of the Smoky Mountains. Located only 20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, this spot boasts some of the region's best fishing and water sports.
I'm not really an expert fisherwoman, but maybe if I lived here I could be! Also, in the mountains!
17. Bryan-College Station, Texas. The Heart of Texas. Home to a major university, this spot claims to have the friendliest residents in the world.
I don't mind visiting Texas, but I'm not too sure I'd want to live there.
18. Little Rock, Arkansas. Where America Comes Together. All Maybelline products distributed in the U.S. are made in this fashion-conscious spot.
I'm definitely not fashion-conscious. In fact, some of you in the America might want to nominate me for What Not To Wear! Plus, I think I'd just be singing that Reba McEntire song all the time if I lived here.
19.Durham, North Carolina. City of Medicine. Ladies' Home Journal recently named this North Carolina city its #1 Healthy Town for Women.
I am a woman...and healthy is good.
20.Chapel Hill, North Carolina. First in Education. This North Carolina town is the home of the nation's first state university.
hmm...who cares?
21. Oxford, Mississippi. Heart of Ole Miss. This college spot has been home to literary legend William Faulkner as well as contemporary novelist John Grisham.
I do like John Grisham, but again, someone told me never to live in Mississippi.
22. Hot Springs-Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. America’s Natural Spa. The world's largest documentary film festival is held in this Arkansas vacation spot each October.
Probably not.
23.Fayetteville, Arkansas. Light of the Ozarks. Near the University of Arkansas campus, this town's Dickson Street is filled with lively bistros, night clubs and galleries.
Night clubs and galleries...just where I've always dreamed of spending my life! Not!
24.Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Friendliest Place in Kentucky. This Kentucky spot's annual Dogwood Festival features the trees' beautiful blooms, plus band concerts, quilt shows and a baking contest.
I like friendly. And, I'd like to learn to quilt. I'm saving some pieces of fabric. Maybe I can be a taste-tester at the baking contest!

8 comments:

Nicole Wilson Conley said...

ahhhhhhh. so many places near me! please come~! i cleaned my room a LOT today... there's plenty of room to lay a matress again. ha. can't wait to squeeze you.

Nicole Wilson Conley said...

p.s. - if adam and karen get down here next yeat like they want, then you'll have even more reasons to be here! :o)

Laura said...

Hey, some interesting places on there. I've lived in a few of them. Clarksville is really a great city. It's the gateway to the new south, because it's not really like the south...It has more culture than most places (it's an army town), and people aren't as backward and narrow minded as some other places in the south...but i won't name names! And there's a good mix of things to do, and it's close enough to Nashville to enjoy it without actually living there.

lee said...

I can speak to a few of these...
1) Tuscaloosa, AL has never been called "The Big Apple of the South" before today. That's absurd. Please don't go there and ruin your life. Other places in AL are acceptable.
2) Maryville, TN is nice if I remember correctly. A major bonus is being near but not in Pigeon Forge. You get the good location, but not the tourists.
3) Ranking last in every major statistical category does not necessarily make Mississippi the worst state in the Union. I would prefer it over somewhere like New Jersey but less than AL/GA/TN.

Anonymous said...

people keep asking when you are coming back. only 6 more months! I can't believe it! what have I done with the last 2 years of my life??!! I'm struggling with contentment this week.

greenville, eh? I would love for you to come back here, but I'm not really sure I would tell you to either. well, you know... I don't have to explain. but I am looking forward to having my Rozzie around again. maybe we could go to the peace center. haha. great times to come...

amy hack shack

Anonymous said...

roz - i vote for raleigh!! miss you, dear!

b said...

My vote is for Athens, Georgia (of course). My dear old alma mater and the Dawgs are there, as well as a great music scene. You'd get some good football. Definitely better than Tuscaloosa, AL. Don't you agree, Lee? Notice Auburn is not on the list.

Anonymous said...

anderson county is great...close enough to Greenville to go but far enough away. I work downtown now, and have no idea what it's appeal was when we were in college.