Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Diwali

So, about 3 weeks has passed since one of the biggest holidays here in this land. There a several variations of the pronunciation, ways of celebrating, and supposed myths behind the holiday. Learn more by clicking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali To experience a little bit of what this holiday was like, you must close your eyes and use your imagination. Ready? (Alright, I know that's not really possible if you are to read what I write.) First, imagine the sounds from WWII. Second, visualize all the fireworks you have ever seen in your entire life. These fireworks lasted from 6 am until 3 am every day for at least a week.
Third, mix 5 lb. butter with 5 lb. sugar and eat it; Take some to all the people you know too. Fourth, get new clothes. Fifth, paint your house and make any necessary repairs. Sixth, decorate your house with lights and candles and draw a picture at the entrance of your house.
This is my auntie doing a puja (worship) of the Hindu goddess of wealth, Laxshmi, and to Ganesh.
Eighth, picture the night before your neighborhood's garbage collection day. Then picture wild animals ripping the bags and their contents to shreds all over the street.....this is similar to what the street looked like with the remants of the fireworks.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hahaha! I laughed out loud when I read number 8! Oh dear country and it's trash and animals....