Wednesday, November 7, 2007

friends are fun and my brain is stressed

So, I have some new friends now. The family is the parents, one daughter (who is my age...I think a year older, but our birthdays are 2 days apart), one son ( I really hope this friendship doesn't bring about a marriage proposal), and another daughter (in 11th standard....or grade for those of you who speak American English). I met the older daughter while getting a new phone number in the place that deals with that kind of stuff in my neighborhood. She was working there, and after she helped me, I told her we should be friends and have coffee or something. Now she wants me to come over every day. They're really great, but I forgot what I felt like a lot up in the mountains where I had friends. The feeling..........my mouth is burning and I absolutely can NOT fit one more bite of food or sip of chai in my stomach. Not even a half of one. IM-poss-i-ble. IM-poss-i-ble for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage. IM-poss-i-ble.

My brain is feeling some stress.
  1. I grew up speaking very Southern English.
  2. I tried to neutralize my accent in order to sound more educated than perhaps I really am.
  3. In elementary school I took Spanish.
  4. In high school/college I took French.
  5. I learned some Romanian when I went there.
  6. In college I also took Spanish/Greek.
  7. I stayed with a family for 1 month in Argentina ( a really great one if I may add!). This stretched my Spanish. I can really roll some r's (sometimes, on accident I roll my English r's).
  8. I studied Hindi for 3 months, 7 hours a day 6 days a week.
  9. I took a couple of Tamil lessons.
  10. Living in this place, and having a couple of British friends is causing some British English to filter through my vocabulary and accent.
  11. Now.....this week, Kannada. And not only is it Kannada, it's a Kannada intensive class. (The amount of material that should be in several months......all crammed into one week!)

My English is breaking up.......sometimes I can't even form complete sentences that make sense. My accent is confused......very confused. Please don't speak to me very fast in any of these languages, I probably won't catch what you're saying.....they're all starting to blend and some are starting to fade. Crazy......Crazy for feelin'...yeah I don't know the words to this song.

Upcoming post: Divali/Diwali/Deepavali........whatever you feel like calling it.

3 comments:

lee said...

'preciate the Patsy Cline shout-out...
"I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue..."

Simply Living Life said...

All I can say is you deserve a vacation. Wait a second you are about to go on one!!!!!!! YAY for beaches, birthdays, and brownies (I am bringing some).

Sheley Calypso said...

Hey :-) I loved this blog :-) I just updated mine! I love you and miss you!