A few Saturdays ago, I went with some friends to Palace City about 4 hours away from here. We were supposed to be checking out a festival, but the festivities were few, so we went to the zoo instead. Going places like the zoo can be rather humorous around here. The zoo was actually pretty nice, but we kept wondering why they charge us foreigners double the price. They should let us in for free. Most of the time we draw more attention than the tourist attraction. People wanted to take our picture, or have a friend take their picture with us. I was going to write a story from a young national's perspective of our day at the zoo, but I didn't because there are a few choice words that would've had to been in the story because they're part of normal everyday language here. Also, it only would've been funny if you could say the story out loud with the proper accent. I guess you had to of been there.
I'm becoming a professional goodbye sayer. That should be a real job because it's taxing on a person....physically because sometimes you have to move stuff, and emotionally because some of these things had some roots in your heart and when they're not near you can become sad. Goodbye school, goodbye Searcy's, goodbye family and friends, goodbye ILC and friends, goodbye family and friends again, goodbye USA, goodbye Capital City, goodbye mountains and girls (I really miss the mountains!), goodbye Anna, goodbye Aaron and Steph, goodbye City of Sewer and Sweat, goodbye Jim and Sean, goodbye Caree.
The uneventful relocation by train from the City of Sewer and Sweat to my new home in the Garden City...at least I had a camera to keep me occupied:
This week, I met some new friends. A couple of my American friends did lunch with these girls and then had them do henna on our hands and feet. The term here for Henna is Mehendi. Women get their hands and feet painted the day before their wedding, for special holidays, and just for fun.

I seriously need a tan....maybe I should just paint my entire body with this stuff.

I seriously need a tan....maybe I should just paint my entire body with this stuff.
Another one of my favorite things to do is get my eyebrows threaded. It shapes them and gets rid of the extra hairs...kinda like waxing them....only they use thread and it just pulls the hairs out or cuts the hairs. It's pretty great. What's even more great is that it only costs like 20 rupees (about 50 cents) as opposed to 5+ dollars in the States.
With goodbyes, comes hellos. Tomorrow, 2 new girls are coming to live in my city. In a week or so, I'll get a new roommate. And this is the official hello to Garden City. Hopefully I'll feel more compelled to take pictures here than in the city of Sewer and Sweat.
So I've said the sad goodbyes and had the henna fun. About the blogging...it's not really that great. I always feel like I'm just talking to myself. And then when I press publish, the thing doesn't look exactly like I want it to. Then, I get aggravated and it keeps me up past my bed time while I try to remedy the situation.









5 comments:
thanks for taking the time and aggravation to post for me :)
love you Roslyn! more to come soon...
~Amy
Great post girl! I love your ramblings! It makes sense to me cause I can identify. I can only imagine the story from the national's perspective at the zoo, I wanna hear that sometime! Enjoy your new city. I met the new girls coming that way and they are great! Love you!
Rozzie - its so good to hear from you; while i was reading this it sounded like you talking, youre a great writer ;) you are always on my mind and i miss you so much! this week i made you a lil goody box; any special request?
thanks for posting. you're a real blogger now. love the pictures.
you rock
~runge
Amen to the threading. Can you believe the other day I got it for 10 rps!!!! I know it was great.
Post a Comment